Know your Herbs
Here are a few of the primary, vital Ayurvedic herbs and how they help us in gaining strength, wellness and everyday balance.
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is perhaps the prime Ayurvedic herb with calmative effects on the nerves.
- It is an excellent tonic for the reproductive system, the nervous system, the bones and the muscles, adding a higher quality weight, bulk and energy to the body.
- It calms the mind and aids in concentration, meditation and deep sleep.
- It is good for the lungs, heart, and kidneys.
- The powder is mixed in milk with honey (taken one-half teaspoon morning and evening, as a mild dosage) Or take two Earthveda Ashwagandha Caplets.
Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), a kind of wild asparagus used as a tonic herb.
- Its root has powerful tonic, rejuvenating and aphrodisiac properties, particularly for the plasma and for the female reproductive system, for which it is probably the best tonic herb.
- Shatavari is great for improving the skin and complexion as well as for recovery from febrile diseases and diseases born of dryness and dehydration.
- It restores our bodily fluids and soothes the entire body.
- Useful for pregnant women as it nourishes both, the mother and the child. It aids in lactation for nursing mothers.
- It can be taken with hot milk, which is often the preferred form. Mild dosage is a one-half teaspoon of the powder or two Earthveda Shatavari caplets, morning and evening.
- Shatavari mixed with raw cane sugar is good for building the plasma and improving the skin.
Shilajit (Asphaltum Punjabinum) grants one the strength and power of the mountain, the support of the Earth.
Shilajit is a special mineral and plant residue, exuded by various rocks in the Himalayas and few other mountain ranges in the world (like the Altai or Caucasus mountains). Such residues are millions of years old and carry the healing powers of the ages.
- Shilajit is a great mineral supplement and improves both digestion and elimination. It is astringent and bitter in taste, pungent in post-digestive effect and warm in energy but not too hot in its effects.
- It can be good for all three doshas of Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Through pungent in post-digestive effect, it does promote the building of bodily tissues.
- One can take Earthveda Shilajit Veg. capsules or get the fresh resin and take it mixed warm water and honey. One should drink more milk when taking Shilajit, which aids in its absorption.
- Shilajit is good for a variety of diseases including asthma, arthritis, kidney diseases, sexual debility and general debility.
(Pungent smell and bitter taste are common reasons to avoid Shilajit. But, Earthveda has developed a special herbal extraction called “Veg Shilajit Capsules,” which solves this problem to help people benefit from the healing powers of Shilajit)
Amla or Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) builds up all the tissues.
- It is good for all doshas but more specifically anti-Vata and anti-Pitta, as well as antacid, laxative and blood purifier.
- Amla is one of the best anti-oxidants, a free radical scavenger available in nature.
- It is particularly the plasma and blood, extending to the reproductive system.
Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), aids in balancing both, body and mind.
- Licorice is cool and sweet, nearly four times sweeter than sugar.
- Has immuno-protective properties, and supports in boosting immunity.
- It counters pain, stops cough, moistens the mucus membranes, soothes the nerves and harmonizes the stomach.
Garlic (Allium satia), a herb for cardiac care.
- It is important for the heart and for Kapha dosha, excellent for coronary heart disease.
- It also aids in lung disease, arthritis and nervous indigestion. It helps deal with obesity, lethargy, oedema and lymphatic congestion.
- It is best to take the garlic cloves whole with honey, three cloves morning and evening.
- Alternatively, one can press the cloves and take the garlic juice with honey. This mixture also aids in weight reduction and removal of excess mucus from the body.
Aloe vera (Kumari), an excellent herb for the plasma
- It is excellent for revitalizing the plasma, blood, liver, gall bladder and female reproductive system.
- It is particularly good for Pitta and Kapha types. It balances rejuvenating and detoxification properties and can cleanse the blood and lymphatic systems
- Aids in weight reduction when necessary. Its Sanskrit name as ‘kumari’ or young girl indicates its power to make a woman youthful.
Guduchi (Tinosporia cordifolia), a herb for healing, immunity and strengthening the body.
- Guduchi is an important herb for countering the effects of exposure to ailments such as fever, infections and decline in the immune system.
- It is a very important herb for Pitta, the blood, and for chronic febrile diseases.
- It strengthens the heart, liver and kidneys.
- It is particularly important for a compromised immune system, including conditions like cancer and Aids. Guduchi is also called “amrit” in Sanskrit, which means elixir, indicating its properties.
A combination of Haritaki, Bibhitaki and Amalaki — Triphala is good for digestive care and wellness.
- An important herb for the colon and aids in the proper absorption in the large intestine — supporting overall digestive system.
- It is a good healing astringent for the mucus membranes.
- It is also helpful for the bones and for the nervous system.
- It is often an adjunct in larger rejuvenative formulas. Prepared as ghee, Triphala is very good for the eyes.
A combination of three spices of dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper.
- An absolute remedy for most Vata and Kapha derangements like digestive anomalies, respiratory issues, inflammatory conditions, liver disturbances, various infections, sexual and reproductive oddities, hypercholesteremia, sluggish metabolism, and obesity.
- Stimulates ‘Agni’, i.e. the digestive fire, improves the assimilation of nutrients in the body and reduces Kapha.
- It is also famed as a rejuvenator and tonic which helps pacify the aggravated Kapha in the respiratory and digestive tract and also regulates the path for the Vata, thus reducing bloating and abdominal distension.
- Aids in absorption of heavier herbs, mainly for Kapha and Vata.
HOLY BASIL (Tulsi)
Holy basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum) also known as tulsi, is native to Southeast Asia.
- It has a history within Indian medicine as a treatment for many conditions, from eye diseases to ringworms.
- Reduces stress and anxiety. All parts of the holy basil plant act as an adaptogen. An adaptogen is a natural substance that helps your body adapt to stress and promotes mental balance.
- Studies show that holy basil can protect your body against toxic chemicals. It may also prevent cancer by reducing the growth of cancerous cells.
- It targets metabolic stress, and can also help with weight loss and cholesterol levels.
BOSWELLIA SERRATA (Gugglu)
Boswellia, or Indian frankincense, is a resin herbal extract from the boswellia tree.
- Natural healing practices have used this herb for centuries.
- Its anti-inflammatory effects mean that it may help with inflammatory conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, and asthma. By helping control inflammation, Boswellia may minimize the symptoms of chronic inflammatory conditions. (Earthveda’s special extract of Boswellia is fast water-soluble, hence, highly effective for pain relief and inflammation as compared with other herb extracts).
Turmeric, sometimes called Indian saffron or the golden spice, has a long history of medicinal use in Ayurvedic systems dating back to 250 BC.
- The use of turmeric dates back nearly 4000 years to the Vedic culture in India as a culinary spice.
- It is anti-inflammatory, relieves pain, improves liver function, reduces the risk of cancer and supports the digestive system.
- Reduces the risk of heart diseases and can protect the brain against common degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
- It is a natural anti-oxidant and slows down the aging process.
- Earthveda’s special Turmeric products have a higher ratio of curcuminoids for better healing. Our R&D team has developed a combination of turmeric with increased bioavailability of Curcumin by up to 95%, which is helpful in post-chemotherapy and reduces the risk of recurrence. This product is developed over five years of intense research.
- Earthveda Wellness has developed special Turmeric products which has very high ratio of Curcuminoids in it. We have wide range of turmeric products which consist of Powders, Caplet, Capsules & Oils. Our Turmeric products very superior in quality that it can be used in both internal & external application.
Our Turmeric products very superior in quality that it can be used in both internal & external application.